Honolulu, HI-based artist Diana Nicholette Jeon spent 10 years working in high tech before returning to school to pursue her first love, art. Perhaps due to her experiences working in California's Silicon Valley, she fell in love with Photoshop when she first encountered it in 1994. In school, she gravitated immediately to digital tools, while still pursuing training in traditional media. She attended the University of Hawaii where she received a BA in Studio Art, then dragged her husband and toddler all the way to Maryland, to pursue graduate work. Jeon was awarded her MFA in Imaging and Digital Art from the University of Maryland at Baltimore County in 2006. Afterward, she and her family happily scampered home to Hawaii, where she spent seven years teaching digital imaging and motion graphics at the college level. In 2013, she decided to plunge into producing her art on a full-time basis.
Jeon's work has been exhibited extensively, venues include the Museo di Arte Moderna e Contemporanea di Trento e Rovereto, the Honolulu Museum of Art, the San Diego Art Institute, and the Tethys Gallery in Florence, Italy. She has received multiple awards for her work including three Recognition Purchase Awards from the Hawaii State Foundation of Art and Culture; 1st Place at the 38th Annual HJCC Commitment to Excellence, Honorable Mention at the 2016 International Photo Awards, was a finalist in two categories in the 2016 Pollux Awards, 2nd Place at Hawaii Photography 2016 and 1st Place at the 5th Annual Mobile Photo Awards. Jeon’s art has been featured in a wide array of publications, including the Huffington Post, Lens Culture, In the In-Between, Binfeng Space Art/Culture magazine, PhotoPhore, Corriere della Sera, L’arena and the Honolulu Star Advertiser. Her works are in many public and private collections, including the permanent collection of the State of Hawaii Art in Public Places program, the International Printing Museum, the Albert O. Kuhn Library Special Collections Department at University of Maryland Baltimore County, and Haverford College.
- 2007 – 2013 Lecturer, New Media Arts, Kapi'olani Community College, Honolulu, HI (Intro to Digital Art; Digital Imaging; Motion Graphics; Digital Multimedia)
- 2008 – 2010 Lecturer, Art, University of Hawai'i at Mānoa, Honolulu, HI (Expanded Art)
- Spring 2006 Instructor of Record, Printmaking, University of Maryland at Baltimore County, Catonsville, MD (Photo-Digital Processes in Non-Toxic Printmaking)
- Fall 2005 Instructor of Record, Printmaking, University of Maryland at Baltimore County, Catonsville, MD (Introduction to Non-Toxic Printmaking)
- Spring 2005 Teaching Assistant, Photography, University of Maryland at Baltimore County, Catonsville, MD (Time and Sequence)
- Fall 2004 Teaching Practicum, Printmaking, University of Maryland at Baltimore County, Catonsville, MD (Introduction to Non-Toxic Printmaking)
- Spring 2000 Instructor, Kapi'olani Community College, Non-Credit Division, Honolulu, HI (Introduction to Photoshop)